Sunday 6 January 2013

Winter ergo league, phase 2

The pre-Christmas leg of the Total Distance League was won by David Byrne with an impressive total of 319244. The "top 5" (I had to go to 5 to include me) were:
1. Dave B       319244
2. Simon E      116138
3. Anne R       102089
4. Chris W       82929
5. William C     82856
Now its time to change the rules to stop Dave winning again. So the post-Christmas league (not sure when it will end; we might perhaps have a monthly winner) will allow you to add distances for
  • erging
  • rowing
  • running
  • cycling
Cycling is easier, per km, than rowing or running. So cycling distances count as 1/3 of erging. Erging, rowing and running are counted at parity (I'm not sure that's entirely fair, but its close enough).

There is a spreadsheet to track this. Its here. Viewing is public, editing is by-invite-from-me; just ask (actually I think those I've invited can also add others, via the "share" button. Please do). I've pre-invited some usual suspects, my apologies to anyone I've missed who I should have asked.

Instructions

Its a google doc, so you just fill it in online. Its a spreadsheet, so you follow the usual spreadsheet rules. Fill it in per-week. The current week should be nicely colourised in green. There is no "save" button, it just auto-saves. Don't worry about fouling it up, it also keeps history.

The total is auto-generated. If you do something (rowing, say) more than once (say, 10km and then 12 km) you have two choices:

  • add the distances yourself (careful!) and enter them in the column
  • in the column, write "=10+12" and it will work out 22 for you
OK, that seems pretty damm obvious to me, but people find creative ways to screw up even the obvious so do feel free to email me questions. Since we're aiming for total distance, I can't see any point in filling in ergs to the nearest meter. I'd go for 10ths of km at most, though its up to you.

Not the PB sheet

This isn't the mechanism for recording notable 2k or 30min ergo times - for those, email me as ever. Don't bother tell me about every erg you do, I don't care - only good ones, as in best-of-the-year or new PBs or suchlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment